Friday, January 9, 2009

The Look

The other night my hubs and I went out to eat at Black Eyed Pea. We ordered and I was working at being quiet. You see I say working at being quiet because as I've mentioned in my previous posts, I do LOVE to talk. My hubs, on the other hand, likes quiet. You know what they say about opposites . . .



As I was saying before I so rudely interrupted myself, I was trying to be quiet. He had mentioned the other day that he enjoyed going to eat with our oldest son because he didn't talk the whole time. (I feel the need to add that this was highly unusual because oldest is rarely quiet-- guess he gets that from me, eh?)



Although it was against my better judgement, I worked really hard at being quiet.Well, I had to do something while I was waiting on the food so I just looked around. Everytime I happened to look towards a waitress, they'd come and ask if I needed anything.



You may be thinking,"That's a good thing, right?"



Now don't get me wrong, it was a good thing, but this was happening with noone else that I could see



Finally, my husband started laughing and asked if I was giving my scary teacher look. I told him I wasn't, I was simply looking around.



If you're a mom you most likely know what I'm talking about. It's the look we develop to get our kids to do what they need to do without saying a word. It's a gift we moms have.



Well, many teacher's learn to develop some kind of "The LOOK". You don't start out with "The LOOK" you develop it. Not everyone's look is the same and some barely have "The LOOK" at all. I'll admit even after 12 years of teaching, I had a rather gentle look.



Then I moved to my present school and it didn't take me long to figure out that "The Look" couldn't be gentle or you'd be eaten alive. I can now give "The Look" and quiet an entire classroom or stop a fight. Granted it's only elementary but I have some tough cookies.



Anyway, "The LOOK" has come in useful in a variety of ways and with a variety of people. And boy do I get a chuckle when my husband says, "Stop looking at me like that, I'm not one of your kid's!"





"Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with. But when your eye is bad, your whole body is filled with darkness. And if the light you think you have is actually darkness, how deep that darkness is!" Matthew 6:22-23 (NLT)

No comments: