Sunday, January 11, 2009

Life Verses

Every Christmas I give my mom a 365 Day Devotional Book. I take myself to LifeWay and read the backs of all ot them. The problem I have is that I can never remember which ones I've gotten her. To alleviate that problem, I check the publish date and choose one published that year. Pretty smart, eh? This year I got her one about Life Verses. It intrigued me because I'm really big on verses fitting situations.

When I was a teenager I had a couple of interesting ways of deciding what my devotional would be for the day.

I'd either say a quick prayer and ask God to give me a good verse to meditate on and then open up my Bible. Amazingly the verse always fit. Don't know why I was so amazed--I asked, He answered. Duh

The other way I chose a devotional was to look in a book of pocket promises from the Bible. I'd choose a subject that was laid on my heart and then pick a Bible verse. That would be my meditation for the day.

Anywho, this was the start of my fascination with verses. It was that fascination that aided in my choice for my mom and it seems to be a good one. I may have to go pick one up for myself.

My only problem with a Life Verse is that I have a hard time choosing just one. Therefore, I decree that I can have as many as I want.

I will choose a predominate one because it's my go to verse:

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”

One of my goals this year is to memorize atleast a verse a week. I know there is atleast one blog with this challenge on my blog reader. It may be Beth Moore's, not sure, I'll have to check it out.

No comments: